Avoid Electrical Scares This Halloween 

Tips to Catch and Avoid Electrical Hazards 

The most recent information from the U.S. Fire Administration reports that there were more than 24,000 electrical fires in a single calendar year. These incidents claimed the lives of 295 people, causing millions of dollars in property damage costs. When considering these statistics, one thing remains clear: homeowners should do everything possible to mitigate the possibility of electrical fires. 

This Halloween, instead of letting an electrical problem turn into a nightmare, homeowners should keep the following tips in mind.

Be Mindful of Electrical Holiday Decorations

It’s easy to get carried away with holiday decor. Yet, homeowners should be careful of what they plug in and how. For instance, they should: 

  • Check for fraying wires. If a homeowner can see an exposed electrical wire behind a decoration’s cord, they should be cautious and disregard the item. If they can’t stand to part with it, maybe they can hang it up but not plug it in. 
  • Check the voltage on holiday lights. Holiday lights typically have a low voltage, meaning they don’t require a lot of power to stay on. However (and as explained later), if too many lights are plugged in at once, this could increase the risk of electrical power. 
  • Monitor the outlets. If an outlet has things plugged in, but it gets too hot, this could mean that the circuit is overloaded. Homeowners should unplug something to avoid the risk of a fire. 

Avoid Overloading Electrical Outlets 

overloaded outletsA homeowner may unintentionally overload electrical outlets during holiday lighting installation. During this process, they can avoid overloading an outlet by: 

  • Unplugging something when they smell something burning 
  • Monitoring the outlets for any scorch marks 
  • Limiting the overuse of extension cords 
  • Using outdoor extension cords when necessary 
  • Using LED lights (these pose a lower risk of burning and causing fires) 
  • Regularly replacing lights 
  • Following the manufacturer’s instructions 

Homeowners should also turn off holiday lights when they’re not in use. They should also avoid running cords under carpets or rugs. The heat can transfer from the wires to the material, elevating the risk of fire and property damage. 

Signs That Call for Electrical Repair Services 

signs of electrical troubleDuring holiday light installation, homeowners may come face-to-face with things that require an electrician’s attention. One should consult a professional if they: 

  • Smell burning from the outlet. This could mean the circuit is overloaded and a component needs replacing. 
  • Notice higher-than-average electric bills. Everyone should have a basic idea of how much their electric bills cost from month to month. If one notices a higher-than-average bill, this could point to wasted energy or another problem within the electrical system. 
  • Flickering lights. This could signal an issue with a fuse or a part of the house that needs rewiring. 
  • Dim lights. This could mean there isn’t enough power going from the electrical grid to the device, indicating a problem. 

About Altas Home Service 

Altas Home Service is known around Alexandria, LA, as “the phenomenal purple people.” Why? Because this family-owned company has come to garner countless five-star reviews, offering licensed and insured work with a smile. Call today for electrical services!

Distribution Links +