Homeowners Should Avoid These 3 Bad HVAC Practices
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning, or HVAC, has revolutionized home comfort. Proper central heating and air conditioning keep temperatures consistent throughout the home and help maintain good indoor air quality. Homeowners sometimes take their systems for granted and neglect certain AC and heating maintenance aspects. This article will cover a few bad habits of HVAC neglect that homeowners should work to break in the new year.
Bad Habit #1: Forgetting to Replace Air Filters
Air filters on central heating and cooling systems serve two main functions.
- Air filters keep dust and other particles out of the moving parts of the HVAC unit
- They catch dust, allergens, and other air pollutants to protect the home’s residents and maintain indoor air quality
These two purposes mean that air filters do get dirty fairly quickly. A dirty air filter will cause the HVAC unit’s motor to work harder to pull air through. This wastes energy and is detrimental to the efficiency and function of the unit. Filters should be changed at least once every three months and may need to be changed as frequently as once a month. This promotes:
- System efficiency
- Excellent IAQ (Indoor Air Quality)
- Consistent temperatures
- Cleaner air ducts
Bad Habit #2: Blocking or Closing Air Vents
When installing an HVAC system, technicians try to place air vents as conveniently as possible for homeowners, but furniture placement and people’s temperature preferences often hinder airflow. Closing air vents or blocking them, whether intentional or unintentional, can cause problems for the system. A closed or blocked vent causes an air pressure imbalance in the air ducts, which can result in damage to the ducts. Tears or leaks can be difficult to repair, affecting the efficiency of the whole system and may cause inconsistent temperatures.
Bad Habit #3: Neglecting HVAC Maintenance
As long as an HVAC system seems to be working, it is easy for homeowners to put off calling in a technician for professional maintenance. The problem with this thought pattern is that when people notice their HVAC system is not working properly, the fix may be much more expensive. Maintenance performed by a professional will be much less expensive and much quicker than emergency service on a malfunctioning heating and cooling system. The benefits of regular professional maintenance are as follows:
- Efficiency: A well-maintained system is more efficient and functions at its best
- Longer Unit Life: The HVAC unit will last longer if it is regularly given a tuneup
- Saves Money: An efficient system will use less energy and save on energy costs
- Prevents Emergencies: Needed repairs can be caught early and dealt with before the HVAC stops functioning
- Peace of Mind: Homeowners can rest assured that their system is working correctly
About Atlas Home Service
The family-owned Atlas Home Service is a licensed and insured electrical and HVAC company serving Alexandria, LA, and the surrounding areas. Call them today for exceptional care and flat-rate pricing on HVAC service.